**KIWI & SPINACH SMOOTHIE**
RECIPE INSPIRATION FROM dinnersdishesanddesserts.com
2 kiwi, peeled and halved
1/2 banana, peeled
1 cup baby spinach
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (any kind is fine)
2 Tbls ground flax seed (optional)
1/2 cup apple juice
10-12 ice cubes
Place all the ingredients into a blender
Blend until smooth
Greek Yogurt will give you more protein than regular yogurt
SERVING SIZE: 1
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 5 MINUTES
**10 NUTRITIONAL FACTS ABOUT KIWI**
Nutrtional Facts obtained from: draxe.com/kiwi-nutrition/
- Incredible Source of Antioxidant-Powered Vitamin C and E- Aside from the high levels of vitamin C and E, both natural antioxidants, kiwifruit is also rich in polyphenols that have immunostimulatory activity, meaning they can prompt an immune system response.
- Counteracts Aging and Improves Skin Health- According to research published in the Journal of Cellular Physiology, the polysaccharides in kiwifruit are able to double collagen synthesis in the body, compared to normal conditions when this activity reduces as we age.
- Improves Respiratory Health- Kiwifruit and other fruits high in vitamin C content have been used successfully to treat a number of respiratory illnesses.
- Good for Vision and Prevention of Eye Disease- Kiwi nutrition’s supply of lutein not only protects the skin, but is also a powerful phytochemical that can prevent many diseases of the eye, including age-related macular degeneration.
- Aids in Digestion- Kiwi has shown promise as a treatment of bowel and digestive disorders. A number of studies have shown kiwi helps reduce complications related to irritable bowel syndrome as well as inflammatory bowel disease.
- Improves the Cardiovascular System- There’s no doubt kiwifruit is a heart-healthy superstar. One kiwi a day can provide a lower risk of stroke, blood clots and cardiovascular diseases.
- Bone Maintenance and Repair- Kiwifruit’s substantial supply of vitamin K is needed in your body for more than just healthy arteries. Vitamin K is needed to use calcium to make bones, which is why a vitamin K deficiency can be extremely troublesome.
- Serotonin Puts Sleep Problems to Bed- The serotonin in kiwifruit has been shown to increase sleep time and sleep efficiency by 13 percent and 5 percent, respectively, so if you can’t sleep, kiwi may help.
- Anticancer Effects- The trees in the actinidia family (kiwi trees) have been used as medicinal plants in China for many years, treating ailments like joint pain, bladder stones, and cancers of the liver and esophagus. Both the fruit and roots of kiwi have proven inhibitory effects on human liver, lung and colon cancer cell growth.
- Antifungal and Antibacterial Capabilities- The golden kiwi fruit contains a protein called actinchinin, which is suggested as the origin of its antifungal capabilities.